Glossary of Medical Terms
- Exhibits anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, astringent, bitter, diaphoretic, diuretic, hepatic and hypotensive properties. Standard remedy for helping the body to deal with fevers. Stimulates digestion and tones blood vessels. Considered to be a specific in thrombotic conditions associated with hypertension
- Yellow Bile
- One of the four humors of ancient and medieval physiology that was believed to be secreted by the liver and to cause irascibility
- Yellow Dock
- Generally considered to be mildly effective as a laxative. Ground up and brewed, Yellow Dock root makes a bitter sweet tea that has been used by herbalists in the treatment of a variety of disorders, mainly to treat enlarged liver and to purify the blood. Side effects of excess consumption of yellow dock include excessive urination, nausea and diarrhea
- Yellow Fever
- An acute viral disease transmitted to man by mosquitoes and characterized by fever, icterus, bradycardia, proteinuria and a bleeding tendency. A RNA virus that multiplies in the cytoplasm of cells; transmitted by arthropods
- Yellow Gentian
- Also called Bitter root, Bitterwort, Gentian Root, and Pale Gentian. Used for catarrhal gastritis with diarrhea, heartburn, indigestion, stomachache, and vomiting. Excellent for improving appetite and digestion, and strengthening the activity of the stomach
- Yellow Root
- Yerba Santa
- Eriodictyon Californicum--Used as a treatment for asthma, bronchial congestion, and hayfever. Quiets nagging coughs, relieves congestion due to allergies, and helps clear the chest of phlegm
- Yohimbe Bark
- Effective in elevating mood and reducing depression and anxiety. Stimulates sexual desire and performance. Studies have also recently found evidence that Yohimbe may aid in weight loss by suppressing the body's ability to store fat. Side effects, can include sweating, nausea and vomiting. Patients taking MAO inhibitors such as antidepressants , tranquilizers, or blood pressure medications should not take Yohimbe or any compounds containing yohimbine. Use of Yohimbe is also contraindicated for pregnant women as well as persons with diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, or ulcers. Persons with a history of psychoses should also avoid Yohimbe as it has been known to trigger new episodes of psychic reaction
- Yucca Aloifolia. Y. Brevifolia. Y. Glauca. Y. Whipplei. There are about forty species of Yucca that grow in the warmer parts of North America and few are present in colder climates. Rich in steroid like saponins that elevate the body's production of cortisone, which may explain this herbs reported ability to aid in managing arthritic pains
© Vikki Shaw
Some of our most commonly asked questions and our answers to them.
Learn about the Hepatitis C Virus (HCV).
Information about the transmission of Hepatitis C.
You'll find links to a comprehensive symptoms list, as well as various studies and discussions about Hepatitis C symptoms.
Learn about the conventional medical treatments used to fight Hepatitis C.
Numerous links to studies, info sheets, FAQs, and analysis of Ribavirin/Rebetron medicines.
Alternative methods of treatment due to side effects and dissatisfication with current medical treatments.
A number of herbal products useful in the management of liver disease.
Receive the latest news on hepatitis treatments, clinical trials, social issues and important breakthroughs.
Learn about Hepatitis C Genotypes and their variants.
A state-by-state and worldwide reference listing physicians who treat HCV, including an email link to submit your physician for inclusion.
Convenient links to other sites external to Hepatitis-Central.
A Bulletin Board for discussions on hepatitis, treatments, etc.
An easy way to get involved in urging our government to do more for Hepatitis C awareness and treatment research.
Numerous links to various Hepatitis B related information, including transmission, symptoms and treatment.
A comprehensive resource of information relating to the liver biopsy.
Many discussions and analyses of cirrhosis, including causes, complications, pathology, symptoms, and much more.
Commonly used medical terms and definitions.
What they are and what they mean. Helps you interpret & understand all the various hepatitis lab tests likely to be encountered.
Liver Cancer/Hepatocellular Carcinoma studies, info sheets, FAQs, and analysis.
An exhaustive list of links to studies, info sheets, FAQs, and analysis of the various drugs used to treat liver disease.
Provides information regarding the best known liver supporting supplements.
Provides detailed information on how to analyze and interpret viral load numbers as well as a link to a convenient Viral Load Chart.
Learn more about various Hepatitis C related topics, including HCV, Ascites, Biopsies, and much more.
Recommended reading for those interested in hepatitis information.